Friday 29 April 2016

Breaking News: Atebubu Queen Mother Sue MP For GHC500,000

Image result for atebubu mp
The queen mother of Atebubu Traditional Area in the Brong Ahafo Region, has sued Sanja Nanja, Member of Parliament for the constituency, for defamation.

The suit was filed at the Wenchi High Court on Thursday April, 27, 2016. 
A press release signed by Kofi Amofa, Secretary to the queen mother said she took the decision because the abusive words used on her by the MP “has provoked public disaffection for her and has also exposed her to public ridicule and contempt.” 

The queen mother is praying the court to award damages against the defendant in the sum of GHc500,000. 

An order of perpetual injunction is also being sought to restrain the defendant from writing, printing and publishing further words and defamatory statements against her. 

Sanja Nanja banned

The traditional authority at Atebubu banned Sanja Nanja from engaging in any social or political activity in the area for raining insults on the Queen-mother during an interview with a local radio station. 

The traditional authority explained that they took the action to punish the MP to serve as a deterrent to others. 

Sanja Nanja apologises 

The MP subsequently apologised for the insults but the Traditional authority is yet to accept it. Sanja Nanja while apologizing said “…the queen-mother of Atebubu and I had a misunderstanding which resulted in me hurling insults on her out of anger. I want to use this platform to plead with the queen-mother and all the traditional heads of Atebubu to forgive me and receive me as the son I use to be.”

“I am putting a lot in place to render a proper form of apology to them; they should please forgive me. The queen-mother didn’t say anything against me. The radio on which I made that statement did not air the queen-mother’s comment to me to listen. I spoke out of anger not knowing what she said. I withdraw all the abusive statements I made,” he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment